LeSean McCoy, Colin Kaepernick both set for a big week one fantasy performance in the NFL. The Philadelphia Eagles will travel to take on one the NFL’s bottom ranked rushing defenses from 2013 in the Jacksonville Jaguars. Before everyone jumps on the, “it’s a new season” argument take a look at the Jaguars off-season moves. The team added defensive end Red Bryant and defensive tackle Ziggy Hood with their main attention in the draft at the offensive positions.
The matchup alone makes LeSean McCoy one of the top 10 fantasy players to use week one of the 2014 NFL season. Then you have the fast paced offense Chip Kelly likes to run going up against the same defense. Last season McCoy topped the 100 yard mark seven times along with six games with at least one rushing touchdown. The third advantage for McCoy is the Eagles host the Jaguars in Philadelphia.
The other top fantasy matchup includes Colin Kaepernick leading the San Francisco 49ers against a Dallas Cowboys team that could be one of the worst defenses in the NFL. Last season the Cowboys allowed the most yards per game, third most passing yards per game and sixth most rushing yards per game. Now that same team will be without Sean Lee who is out for the season as well as Jason Hatcher and DeMarcus Ware who left in free agency.
Here is the complete top 10 list of fantasy players for week one.
1. LeSean McCoy, Running Back: McCoy is a must start for any league including daily leagues against a Jaguars team that could struggle on both sides of the ball.
2. Colin Kaepernick, Quarterback: The 49ers quarterback has a terrific matchup on paper against a Cowboys defense that will struggle in 2014.
3. Matt Forte, Running Back: Forte has been one of the most consistent fantasy running backs since entering the NFL. This week he gets a shot at a Buffalo Bills defense that had its fair share of stopping the run last season and failed to land additional talent to the defensive line.
4. Peyton Manning, Quarterback: The NFL leader in passing yards and touchdowns gets another crack at his former team the Indianapolis Colts. Last season Manning threw for 386 yards, three touchdowns and one interception in a loss at Indianapolis.
5. Alshon Jeffery, Wide Receiver: Jeffery has a favorable matchup against the Buffalo Bills in week one. Last year Jeffery pulled in 1,421 yards and seven touchdowns.
6. Drew Brees, Quarterback: Brees and the New Orleans Saints will head to take on NFC South rivals the Atlanta Falcons. Last season Brees threw for 635 yards with four touchdowns and one interceptions against the Falcons secondary.
7. Minnesota Vikings Defense/Special Teams: The Vikings head to St. Louis to take on the Rams with Shaun Hill replacing the injured Sam Bradford. Hill has only attempted 1 5 passes over the past three seasons. The added bonus is having Cordarrelle Patterson back deep returning kicks.
8. A.J. Green, Wide Receiver: The uncertainty in the Baltimore Ravens secondary has both Green and teammate Marvin Jones as possible big game threats. The Ravens starting cornerbacks Jimmy Smith, Lardarius Webb and Asa Jackson all missed time this preseason.
9. Marvin Jones, Wide Receiver: The Bengals will test the secondary of the Baltimore Ravens often and early in week one as three of the teams primary members have missed time.
10. Jimmy Graham, Tight End: Graham and the Saints head to take on the Falcons in week one of the 2014 NFL season. Last season the Falcons were one of four teams to allow double digit touchdowns to tight ends.