Matt Ryan, Knowshown Moreno and Calvin Johnson headline top week 1 fantasy performances. Ryan’s big day passing lead the Atlanta Falcons to an overtime victory against NFC South rivals the New Orleans Saints. The Falcons quarterback finished the day completing 31 of 43 passes for 448 yards and three touchdowns.
Moreno help lead the Miami Dolphins over AFC East rivals the New England Patriots. The Dolphins running game combined to rush for 191 yards including a game high 134 yards from Moreno. The former Denver Bronco also found the end zone bringing his fantasy total to 19.4 points for the day.
In Detroit, the New York Giants found it difficult to slow down the Lions offense early including wide receiver Calvin Johnson. Johnson finished the day with seven catches for 164 yards and two touchdowns. Most of his fantasy action came in the first half including both touchdowns.
All three of these players currently lead the NFL in passing yards, rushing yards and receiving yards. Let’s take a look at the complete top 10 fantasy performance around the NFL.
1. Calvin Johnson, Wide Receiver: Megatron showed again why he is the top wide receiver in the NFL for fantasy owners pulling in two touchdowns in the first half against the New York Giants. If Stafford plays like he did in week 1 Johnson has a chance to lead the league again.
Fantasy Points: 31.9
2. Julius Thomas, Tight End: The Denver Broncos tight end could not be slowed down early as he and Peyton Manning teamed up for three first half touchdowns. Thomas finished the game with seven catches for 104 yards and the three scores.
Fantasy Points: 31.9
3. Matt Ryan, Quarterback: Ryan put together the top fantasy performance throwing for 448 yards with three touchdowns and zero turnovers in the Falcons 37-34 overtime win over the Saints.
Fantasy Points: 31.4 points
4. Andrew Luck, Quarterback: Luck and the Indianapolis Colts fell behind early before rallying late to make it a close game. The Colts quarterback finished with 370 yards passing and three combined touchdowns including one on the ground.
Fantasy Points: 28.7
5. Matthew Stafford, Quarterback: This is nothing new for the Lions quarterback over the past few seasons in fantasy. Stafford finished the day with 346 passing yards, two touchdowns and a rushing touchdown. It looked early in the first half that Stafford and Johnson had a chance to both have huge games but the pace slowed in the second half.
Fantasy Points: 28
6. Allen Hurns, Jacksonville Jaguars: The NFL’s fantasy sleeper of the week for many as Hurns big day helped pace the Jaguars offense against the Philadelphia Eagles. Hurns pulled in four catches for 110 yards and two touchdowns. His production could continue as both Marqise Lee and Cecil Shorts is dealing with an injury.
Fantasy Points: 25
7. Marshawn Lynch, Running Back: Lynch had the best game of any running back rushing for fantasy as he finished with 110 yards and two touchdowns. The holdout and questions regarding his future in Seattle didn’t show up in week 1.
Fantasy Points: 24.9
8. A.J. Green, Wide Receiver: Green had three fairly quiet quarters against the Baltimore Ravens before his big 70 plus yard touchdown grab late in the fourth quarter. The Cincinnati Bengals receiver continues to produce as a top five fantasy receiver week in and week out.
Fantasy Points: 22.6
9. Peyton Manning, Quarterback: Manning didn’t need long as he connected with Julius Thomas for three first half touchdowns. Despite the strong half, the Colts slowed entire Denver Broncos offense down in the second half lowering Manning’s fantasy total.
Fantasy Points: 22.5
10. Carson Palmer, Quarterback: Palmer used a late rally not only to help his fantasy production but to help lead the Arizona Cardinals to a comeback. The Cardinals connected on fourth quarter touchdowns to Stepfan Taylor and John Brown.
Fantasy Points: 21.1
Who will make the top 10 after week 2?