Richard Sherman leads Seattle to the top fantasy defense in 2014. Despite losing cornerbacks Brandon Browner and Walter Thurmond in free agency the Seahawks still have the NFL’s top defense. The team also added veterans A.J. Jefferson and Philip Adams to fill the holes.
Last season the Seahawks allowed 442 fewer yards than the next closest team the Carolina Panthers. As you look at their rankings they ranked first in fewest yards allowed, fewest yards per game with 273.6, fewest passing yards per game with 172 and fewest points per game with 14.4 overall.
Now these stats have nothing to do with this season and no one expects to produce at that level but still should be the first defense taking in 2014.
Top 10 Defenses For Fantasy Football In 2014:
1. Seattle Seahawks: The Seahawks still have a ton of playmakers including Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas in the secondary.
2. Denver Broncos: The Broncos offense was one of the greatest of all-time last season but the teams defense let them down at times. This led John Elway and his staff to address the teams needs this season adding DeMarcus Ware, Aqib Talib and T.J. Ward. The Broncos will have Von Miller returning from a shortened injury season.
3. Carolina Panthers: Luke Kuechly is one of the NFL’s top defensive players and his success should continue in 2014. The Panthers were right on the Seahawks in most defensive stats last season but their secondary could be a concern.
4. Houston Texans: The Texans defense played better than what the records and stats showed last season. The addition of Jadeveon Clowney to a defensive roster that includes J.J. Watt and Brian Cushing could have the Texans making big strides in 2014.
5. St. Louis Rams: The Rams have emerged as one of the NFL’s top rising defenses with Robert Quinn leading the pace. The team added talent through the draft by selecting defensive tackle Aaron Donald in the first round followed by cornerback Lamarcus Joyner, safety Mo Alexander and E.J. Gaines later in the draft.
6. San Francisco 49ers: The 49ers fell after losing Donte Whitner and Carlos Rogers in free agency. The team still has a ton of talent including Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman. The uncertainty of Aldon Smith also hurts the 49ers draft stock.
7. Arizona Cardinals: Last season the Cardinals were the top NFL defense against the run. This led the team to focus on the secondary by adding Antonio Cromartie through free agency and drafting Deone Bucannon with the team’s first draft pick to team up with Patrick Peterson.
8. Cincinnati Bengals: The Bengals head coach made his living by being one of the NFL’s top defenses and that should be the same case in 2014. The Bengals have a very good front seven that includes Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap and Vontaze Burfict. The team also addressed their aging secondary over the past two season adding Dre Kirkpatrick and Darqueze Dennard.
9. New England Patriots: Bill Belichick has built the Patriots team throughout his years with defense. The additions of Brandon Browner and Darrelle Revis to the secondary will make the Patriots very difficult to pass on.
10. Baltimore Ravens: The Ravens defense is built with veterans that include Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata and Elvis Dumervil. The team has also gotten a lot younger over the past few seasons adding C.J. Mosley, Matt Elam, Jimmy Smith and Timmy Jernigan through the draft. The team might have one of the top front fours in the NFL.